Last Friday I went over the four attributes (contained in the questions listed below) of professionals that distinguish the best from the rest.
- Do you see the outcome before it happens?
- Are you fully committed or “All In?”
- Plan your work and work your plan.
- Do you continue to increase your ability and invest in yourself?
These actions are essential to reaching the top of your profession or area of interest.
But what does it take to keep your momentum and truly break away from the pack? Once you reach a certain level of achievement how do you solidify gains and continue to advance? Here are three more attributes that will ensure you maintain a distinguishable standard of excellence.
- Be Tenacious.Each time you move up to the next level, you encounter larger problems and greater difficulties. You need to ask yourself if you are truly in it to win or will you throw the towel in once the heat really intensifies? The ability to stay the course and reach beyond the finish line is paramount to success and being a consummate professional. I have great admiration for people who persist no matter how many times they get knocked down.
- Get Connected.Do you continue to work and build your power base? Professionals never enter the room with an air of arrogance. They know the strategic value of networking and treating people the way they themselves would want to be treated. It’s one of the reasons they attract so many people to them and why they are regularly creating power. It’s also one of the reasons they get referrals in the first place and are able to see them through to a win-win outcome.
- Work for Your Dreams.Whose dreams are you making a reality? A real pro goes to work to reach his own goals rather than toiling to make other people’s dreams come true. Let me tell you the story of two guys working together at McDonald’s. One guy works there because he dreams of opening his own hamburger joint while the other is working to get pocket change to go to the movies and save for a car. Both work hard but one is working to enrich himself while the other is laboring to make the franchise rich.
How do you measure up? Take a moment to list the things that you are going to do differently now with each attribute. Let me know what you’re going to do to ensure you’re achieving a higher standard of professionalism and success in your life.